Unit 3 Language point
1. 运送, 运输 2. 更喜欢 3. 说服, 劝说 4. 从那以后；自从 5. 梦想 6. 劝说
Useful words and phrases
1.梦想做某事 dream of / about doing sth 2.骑自行车旅游 take a bike trip 3.说服?做? persuade sb to do 4.关心,介意 care about 5.改变主意 change one’s mind 6.下定决心 make up one’s mind 7.屈服,让步 give in 8.使某人对·····感兴趣 get sb interested in
1.transport (v./n.) 运输，运送 (1) 请找另外的交通工具吧。 means of transport Please find another_________________. (2) 100台电脑被运到了东源中学。 were transported to 100 computers ____________________ Dongyuan High School. transportation n. 交通工具
public transportation 公共交 通工具（e.g. bus, subway）
2. prefer (v.) 较喜欢, 宁愿
n. n. ? I prefer _______ to _________.
doing ____ ( to eating doing______ ). ? I prefer eating
do ____ rather than eat ? I prefer to eat do ____.
? I prefer not to eat do ________.
3. ever since自从，从那以后 (1) 自从2004年以来，我就一直住在河源。 ever since I have lived in Heyuan __________2004.
(2) 自从我来到河源，我就爱上了这里的一切，包括河源 的空气、美食和善良的人们。 现在完成时 +过去时 Ever since I have fallen in __________ came to Heyuan, I ___________ love with everything to do with Heyuan, including ________ the fresh air, delicious food and kind people.
(3)我上一次是两年前在河源见到他，自那以后，我再没 见过他了。 I saw him last in Heyuan two years ago and I ever since haven’t seen him ___________. 现在完成时
4. dream about /of 梦想, 梦见
实现梦想： ? realize/ achieve one’s dream ? one’s dream has come true ? make one’s dream come true
dream 常与not, little连用, 表示“想不到”。 I little dreamed of seeing you here. 真没有想到会在这遇到你。 与dream相关的其他词组: dream up 虚构, 凭空想出 go to one’s dream 进入梦乡 read a dream 解梦 dream a (sweet/terrible…) dream 做了一个(甜蜜的、可怕的)梦 构词法: dreamer 做梦的人; dreamful 多梦的； dream like 梦一般的; dreamland 梦境； dream reader 解梦的人
5. persuade（vt.）说服, 劝说（暗示是成功的, 如果未成功则用try to persuade） ? persuade sb. (not) to do sth. ? 说服某人（不）做某事 ? persuade sb. into doing sth. ? 说服某人干某事 ? persuade sb. out of (doing) sth. ? 说服某人不做某事 ? persuade sb. of sth. 使某人相信某事 ? persuade sb. + that从句 说服, 使某人相信
(1) 除非他改变主意，否则没人能说服他干这件事。 Unless he changed his mind, no one could persuade him to do that. __________________
(2) 她最终说服我不要买了。 me not to buy it. She finally persuaded ________________ (3) 我设法想说服他别吸烟，但是他不愿听我 的。 persuade him out of smoking, but I tried to ________________ he wouldn't listen to me.
(4)怎么才能说服他参加我们的活动呢？ joining us? How can we persuade him into ______ (5) 你能说服她放弃她那愚蠢的打算吗？ persuade her out of her foolish Can you _______ plan? (6) 我怎样才能使你相信我说的是实话呢？ persuade you that I am telling How can I _______ the truth? (7) 他设法使我相信他的诚实。 persuade me of his honesty. He tried to __________
6. stubborn 1) He is too stubborn to apologize. 倔强的, 固执的 2) You’ll have to push hard, that door is a bit stubborn. 难以移动的
3) The old man has got a stubborn cough 难以治愈的 that has lasted for weeks.
7. insist : declare firmly 坚持认为, 坚持主张
1) insist on/upon one’s doing sth 坚持做, 坚决做 e.g. They insisted on/upon their running.
2) insist that sb. (should) do sth. 坚决主 张做某事, 后接的宾语从句常用虚拟语气, 既 “should +v.” e.g. She insisted that she (should) organize the trip properly. I insisted that he (should) hand back the girl’s wallet, but he insisted that he hadn’t stolen it.
Do you know their differences?
adj. 形容 词
be determined to do sth.坚决做某事
Once she was determined to learn English well. She determined to learn 100 vocabularies everyday. And finally, her great determination made her succeed.
v.：“决定” determine to do sth. （决定做某事）
10. determine v. “决定，确定，下定决心” determined adj. 有决心的，坚决的，果断的 (1) 我决定要好好学习英语。 determined to learn I ____________________ English hard. (2) 他们决心上课不再睡觉。 were/are determined not to sleep They _______________________ in class. (4) 我下定决心不会再犯同样的错误。 was determined that the same mistakes I _____________ would not be repeated. (5) 艾米是一个很果断的女人。 determined woman. Amy is a very _________
11. change one’s mind 改变主意 make up one’s mind 下定决心, 作出决定 一旦我下定决心，什么也不能让我改变主意。 make up my mind nothing can Once I _______________, change (my mind) ________________. 他用了很长时间才打定主意要好好学英语。 It took him a long time to make up his mind to learn English hard. _________________
13. give in (to sb./sth.) 屈服于, 让步
1) He would rather die than give in. 屈服
2) Wang Kun had to give in because he knew his sister well. 让步 3) Please give your examination
papers in ( to the teacher) when
you’ve finished. 上交
(dream about) The little girl dreamed about ________________________ becoming a pop star. ________________________
2. 我决定不听他的劝告。(determine) I_____________________________ deternined not to follow his advice.
3. 说服他放弃这个计划很难。(persuade) It’s difficult to persuade him to give ____________________________
up this plan. ____________________________
4. 最后, 我不得不做出让步。(give in) Finally, I had to give in. _____________________________ 5. 他总是喜欢和小孩子玩。(be fond of)
He _____________________________ is always fond of playing with children.
Jordon Romero, a thirteen-year old boy from America, climbed the Qomolangma successfully and became the first youngest man to climb the has an altitude of mountain, which ①___________________( 海拔 was fond of 高度是)8848 meters. He ②_____________ (喜 欢)climbing when he was a child, and successfully climbed other highest mountains of the other six continents. ③ (爬山之前) Before ___________climbing, he said that he ④ (决定) _________________ was determined to climb it and if he couldn’t reach the peak this time, he wouldn’t⑤ (改变主 change his mind either. 意) ________________
persuaded him not to Jordon’s parents ⑥_________________ （劝说他不要）take any unnecessary risk and if he was in trouble, such as the bad give in （放弃） and weather, he’d better ⑦______ return home. ⑧_______ As usual（像往常一样）, he had a positive ⑨________ attitude （态度）to climbing and prepared well for his ⑩ journey _________.
13岁的美国男孩乔丹?罗梅洛（Jordon Romero） 在2010年5月成功登上珠穆朗玛峰，成为登上 珠峰年纪最小的人。珠穆朗玛峰的海拔高度是 8848米。他从小就喜欢登山，而且成功攀登了 其他六大洲的最高峰。在攀登之前，他说： “我下定决心去做，如果这一次我没有到达峰 顶，我也不会改变主意。” 乔丹的父母劝他 不要冒任何不必要的风险，如果中途遇到问题， 如：恶劣天气，最好放弃，返回。像往常一样， 他对攀登有很积极的态度。他为旅程做好了准 备。