Do you want to watch a game show?
2a Discuss the following questions with a partner. 1.Do you like to watch cartoons?
2.What is your favorite cartoon?
3.Why do you like it?
————— is a symbol in American culture
2b Read the passage and complete the time line on the next page.
When people say “culture”, we think of art and history. But one very famous symbol in American culture is a cartoon. We all know and love the black mouse with two large round ears-Mickey Mouse. Over 80 years ago, he first appeared in the cartoon Steamboat Willie.
“想, 考虑, 思索”(v. 动词) 可以和许多
介词搭配, 组成新的意思。 think of “考虑”; “有· · · · · · 的看法”
e.g. What does he think of Beijing Opera?
My mother always thinks of everything! 我妈妈总是想到所有的东西。
3. What do you think of game shows?
1) What do you think of ...? “你认为· · · · · · 怎么样?”
谈论对某事物的喜好程度, 可选择的回答有： I like it./I don't mind it./I don't like it./ I can't stand it./I like it very much./I love it./ It's beautiful./They're fantastic
think highly of sb. /sth. 对某人或某物评价甚高 e.g. Mr. Black thinks highly of his son. 布莱克先生对他儿子评价甚高。
think about “考虑” (指计划, 观念, 看它是否
think about doing sth 考虑做某事
e.g. He is thinking about going to China.
famous著名的，出名的 ? Mo Yan is a very famous writer. ? be famous as---作为-- -- 而出名 ? Tian Liang is famous as a swimming player. ? be famous for---因为-- -- 而出名 China is famous for its culture
? ? ? ?
over 80 years ago 八十多年前 over=more than超过 his grandma is over 90 years old. appear 出现 意为“显得，看来似乎”，相当于seem look 常用结构：sb. appear to be 或it appears that--The girl appeared to be angry with the result. It appears that they are right.
When this cartoon came out in New York on November 18, 1928, it was the first cartoon with sound and music. The man behind Mickey was Walt Disney. He became very rich and successful. In the 1930s, he made 87 cartoons with Mickey.
4. When this cartoon came out in New York on November 18, 1928, it was the first cartoon with sound and music. 当这部动画片于1928 年11月18 问世于纽约 时，它成为第一部带有音乐的动画片。 “ come out” 在本句中译为“ 出版” 引申为 “ 问世”。此外还有：出来，（花）开出来之意。 e.g. The book comes out this week. 该书本周上市。 Oh, look! The sun's coming out! 噢，看！太阳出来啦！
Some people might ask how this cartoon animal became so popular. One of the main reasons is that Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. In his early films, Mickey was unlucky and had many problems such as losing his house or girlfriend,
Minnie. However, he was always ready
his best. People went to the cinema to see the “little man” win. Most of them wanted to be like Mickey.
might VS may
? ? ?
? ? ? ?
might 可能，或许 I thought it might be true. 两者都可以表示请求允许， might表示的语气比较 委婉。 May/Might I have a look at of your book? 两者都可以表推测， might比 may语气更不确定， 表示可能性更小。 He may/might know Mulan. But I am not sure. 表示允许某人做某事，通常用may而不用might. You may come and watch the sitcom with me tomorrow.
? ? ?
might与may表可能性，有“或许、可能”之意可 以换用，但might表示较多的怀疑、更加不肯定、 语气更委婉。 He may/might be English.他可能是英国人。 They may/might have a lot of work to do.他们可能 有许多工作要做。 表示许可或征询对方许可时，疑问句常用may。 May I watch TV after supper?晚饭后我可以看电视 吗？ He said that I might use the telephone.他说我可以 用电话。
5. One of the main reasons is that Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. 一个主要原因是米奇看似一个普通人，但 他总是尝试应对任何危险。 one of …后跟可数名词复数，表示…之一。 其后的谓语动词用单数。 e.g. One of my favorite movies is Mr. Bean. 我最喜欢的电影之一是憨豆先生。 One of my best friends is Ann. 安是我最好的朋友之一。
6. However, he was always ready to try his best. 然而， 他总是做好尽全力的准备。 1) be ready to do sth 准备做某事 get ready to do sth 与之同义，但前者强 调状态，后者强调动作。 e.g. Are you ready to start? 你准备好了吗？ Please get ready to start. 请作好开始的准备。
2) Try one’s best 尽某人最大的努力
其后跟动词不定式形式，即： try one’s best
to do sth.
e.g. Don't give up. Just try your best.
Come on！Just try your best to let your dream come true. 加油！尽最大的努力去实现你的梦想吧。
7. People went to the cinema to see the “little man” win.
人们去电影院是为了看这个“ 小人儿” 赢。
go to the cinema 也可译为“ 看电影”类似
go to movies
go to a movie
go to see a movie.
On November 18, 1978, Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Today’s cartoons are usually not so simple as little Mickey Mouse, but everyone still knows and loves
him. Who has a pair of ears more famous than
8. Today’s cartoons are usually not so simple as little Mickey Mouse.
此句中not so… as 结构表示“ 不像……那
It wasn’t so good as last time.
It is not so easy as you’d think.
Skim for general information
Para 1 Para 2 A Mickey Mouse has two large round ears B Mickey Mouse is still famous today
C Mickey Mouse became popular
D Mickey Mouse was created（创造）
Mickey Mouse first in appeared the cartoon Steamboat Willie .Walt Disney Mickey Mouse . After that,hecreated became and rich successful Why did Mickey became so popular? One of the is that Mickey Mouse was like a man. He was always ready to . He was thereasons first main to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of fame. common He is a symbol of American try his best cartoon character
Steamboat Willie came out in New York
Mickey became the first cartoon he made 87 cartoons character to have a star on the with Mickey. Hollywood Walk of Fame 1930s November 18, 1978
Over 80 years ago
2c Read the passage again and fill in the facts about Mickey.
What does he look like? Who created him? What was his first cartoon? A black mouse with two large round ears-Mickey Walt Disney Steamboat Willie Minnie Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger.
Who is his girlfriend?
Why is he popular?
2d Read the passage again and discuss the questions with a partner. 1. What is Mickey Mouse a symbol of? What cartoon character is a symbol of Chinese culture?
American culture. Ne Zha.
2. Do you think Walt Disney is a smart man? Why or why not? Do you want to be like him? Yes , I think so . Because his cartoon is famous all over the world. Yes ,I do.
3. Why did people want to be like Mickey? Do you want to be like Mickey? Why or why not?
Because it is like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. Yes , I do. Because I want to try my best to live.
4. Can you think of another cartoon character that is as famous as Mickey? Why is the character popular?
Su Wukong. Because he can face every
problem in his life and win at last.
Write a short passage about your favorite character. Talk about the reasons(famous popular successful), the personality (honest brave warm-hearted friendly……) the birthplace（出生地） the appearance(外貌）.