Learning a foreign language: Twice As Hard?
What is like a bridge That brings together you and me ? What is like an entrance From which we can ente
r another world ? What is like a train Which can take us to a bright future ?
What is your difficulty in learning English?
Learning a foreign language:
Twice As Hard?
Is learning a foreign language twice as hard as learning our mother tongue?
Skim the text:
Task One: Complete the title of the text
Task Two: Tell the main idea of the text of and of each paragraph
What’s the main idea of this article?
A. Learning a foreign language is twice as hard as learning our mother tongue. B. Learning a foreign language is more important than learning our mother tongue. C. Learning a foreign language is twice as easy if we develop our study skills.
D. In fact, the number of people learning a foreign language has increased with years.
Para. 2 Para. 3 Para. 4 Para. 5
Learning a language is more than just memorising words, phrases and structures Different opinions among experts differences between learning MT and FL the basic characteristics of successful learners. Why do some students achieve success in language learning? Ways to become successful learns
True or false
1. We are still not sure how we learn all the sounds , words , grammar rules and structures. T 2. Language experts agree on that we can learn languages in life, for everyone learns to use a language and has mastered the basics by the age of five. T 3. Because there are few chances to communicate with other speakers of the language, some students think learning a foreign language is difficult. T 4. In fact, the author doesn’t think we spend less time on English study than on Chinese study. F
5. Textbooks, teachers, classmates and study method make us more efficient. 6. In the writer’s eyes, learning a foreign language is very easy, compared to learning one’s mother tongue.
7. If we want to succeed in learning a foreign language, we must be qualified with some characteristics, such as curiosity, a strong appetite for the world, confidence and so on.
Two language acquisition theories
Theory 1 We’re born with a language specific part of the brain so that we have a special ability to learn language. Theory 2 We learn language just the same as we learn other skills, that is, we have a general ability to learn language.
difference between learning MT and FL
Means of learning place opportuniti es Time spent efficiency (效率) acquire by communicating ________
usually in school few
all your waking hours
a few hours in a week
can be of greater/high _______
What are the characteristics of successful language learners ?
Interested in understanding their own thinking. Curious about the world Willing to take chances Confident in their ability.
Use different ways of learning
Plan and evaluate their studies
How can some students do better in language acquisition?
Less anxious and more relaxed
Willing to take risks and place themselves in new learning situations.
Scan the text and try to find the detailed information in the passage.
1.Most children have mastered their mother tongue .
A.at the age of five B. by the age of eight C. before they are five
D. since they were five
2. In fact, we learn English much faster than we may have thought because ________.
A.A lot of people are born with a special
ability to learn a foreign language.
B.English learning always takes place in class.
C.Communicating with people often takes too much time. D.We can get a lot of help and the learning is more efficient.
3. The text tells us that successful language
learners ______. A.spend as many hours studying English as they do their mother tongue. B.always have different plans for their learning C.want very much to become translators and interpreters. D.are usually very impatient in learning a language.
4. Successful language learners do share the following characteristics except A.the ability to memorize the words B. an interest in understanding their own thinking C. willingness to take chances D. confidence in their ability .
5. From the text we can see _______. A.The stronger the motivation is, the more quickly a person will learn a foreign language. B.Interest, curiosity, willingness and confidence are more important than anything else. C.We’ll find it easier to learn English if we can learn something from successful language learners. D.Both B and C.
6. From the text we can see _______.
A. The stronger the motivation is, the more quickly a person will learn a foreign language.
B. Interest, curiosity, willingness and confidence are more important than anything else. C. We’ll find it easier to learn English if we can learn something from successful language learners. D. Both B and C.
? If they were not, they would not be ready to experiment with new forms and to make mistakes, both of which contribute to their increased ability to learn. ? If they were not confident and secure, they would not be willing to try new forms and to make mistakes. Both of the new forms and mistakes help improve their learning ability.
? And perhaps most puzzling of all, how were we able to make sense of what we heard and distinguish the mistakes and errors from “good language”? ? And maybe the most puzzling thing is how we could understand what we heard and tell the difference between what is a mistake and what is correct in the language.
? But once you consider the situation further, you’ll realise that this is indeed the case. ? But if you think about the time we spend in learning Chinese, you’ll find it’s true that we learn English faster than we do mother tongue.
The sentence “Life is a very successful language school” means B .
? A. we are equipped with a special ability to learn language ? B. the key to learn the language well is to communicate with the people around us ? C. parents can give children language lessons ? D. people can learn the language by themselves
Evaluate your studies
interest confidence planning feeling relaxed/secure being active
learning habits and skills
1. Of the factors, which seems the most difficult for you to achieve, what are the problems and discuss ways to improve it? 2. Of the factors, which factor contributes most to your successful English learning, how does it influence your learning (reasons why it is important), discuss ways to help those who don’t.
? Write tips on learning English in one aspect such as vocabulary, reading, writing, speaking, or listening.
Thank you very much!