Do you want to watch a game show?
2a Discuss the following questions with a partner 1.Do you like to watch cartoons?
2.What is your favorite cartoon?<
br />3.Why do you like it?
. What is your favorite cartoon? 你最喜欢的卡通片是什么？ “ what’ s your favorite…? 是用来询问对方 最喜爱事物是什么。其同义句为“ what… do you like best? 回答用: My favorite book is … 或是 I like …best. e.g. --what’s your favorite book? = what book do you like best? -- My favorite book is Snow White. 或是 I like Snow White best.
? Who is he ? ? What does he look like?
two large round ears
Mikey Mouse and his friends
2b Read the passage and complete the time line on the next page.
When people say “culture”, we think of art and history. But one very famous symbol in American culture is a cartoon. We all know and love the black mouse with two large round ears-Mickey Mouse. Over 80 years ago, he first appeared in the cartoon Steamboat Willie.
When this cartoon came out in New York
on November 18, 1928, it was the first
cartoon with sound and music. The man
behind Mickey was Walt Disney. He
became very rich and successful. In the
1930s, he made 87 cartoons with Mickey.
Some people might ask how this cartoon animal became so popular. One of the main reasons is that Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. In his early films, Mickey was unlucky and had many problems such as losing his house or girlfriend, Minnie. However, he was always ready to try his best. People went to the cinema to see the “little man” win. Most of them wanted to be like Mickey.
On November 18, 1978, Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Today’s cartoons are usually not so simple as little Mickey Mouse, but everyone still knows and loves
him. Who has a pair of ears more famous than
当人们说到“文化，”我们就会想到 艺术和历史。但是美国文化里的一个有名 的标志是卡通。我们都知道而且喜欢黑色 的带着两只圆耳朵的老鼠 - 米老鼠。80多 年前，它第一次出现在Steamboat WIllie (威利蒸汽船的电影)里。
当这个卡通在1928年11月18 日出现在纽约的时候，它是第一 部没有声音没有音乐的卡通。米 老鼠背后的男人是Walt Disney 。他变得很有钱很成功。在20世 纪30年代，他用米老鼠为题材制 作了87部卡通。
一些人可能会问这个卡通动物 怎么这么受欢迎。一个主要原因是 米老鼠就像一个普通人，但是他经 常努力面对任何的危险。在他早期 电影里，米老鼠很不幸而且有很多 问题譬如丢了房子 丢了女朋友 米妮 。但是，他一直准备好尽最大的努 力。人们去电影院看“小人物”成 功。他们中的大多数想要成为米老 鼠。
在1978年11月18日，米老 鼠成了好莱坞星光大道上的第 一个卡通形象的明星。现在的 卡通不像米老鼠这么简单，但 是人们仍然知道和喜爱它。谁 有一对比米老鼠更有名的耳朵 ？
Steamboat Willie came out in New York
he made 87 cartoons with Mickey.
Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Over 80 years ago
November 18, 1978
2c Read the passage again and fill in the facts about Mickey.
What does he look like? Who created him? What was his first cartoon? Who is his girlfriend? Why is he popular? A black mouse with two large round ears-Mickey Walt Disney Steamboat Willie Minnie
Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger.He was always ready to try his best. People want to see the "little man"win. People want to be like him.
2d Read the passage again and discuss the questions with a partner. 1. What is Mickey Mouse a symbol of? What cartoon character is a symbol of Chinese culture?
American culture. Ne Zha.
2. Do you think Walt Disney is a smart man? Why or why not? Do you want to be like him? Yes , I think so . Because his cartoon is famous all over the world. Yes ,I do.
3. Why did people want to be like Mickey? Do you want to be like Mickey? Why or why not?
Because it is like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. Yes , I do. Because I want to try my best to live.
4. Can you think of another cartoon character that is as famous as Mickey? Why is the character popular?
Su Wukong. Because he can face every
problem in his life and win at last.
2e Underline the following phrases in the passage. Write your own sentences or questions using the phrases. think of come out one of the main reasons such as was ready to more than just
? famous adj. 著名的， 出名的 famous同义词是well-known,反义词是unkown 。famous除了可以放在名词前作定语外还可以作 表语。 ? 常见以下结构： （1）be famous for表示某人以某种知识技能或 特征出名，或以某种特产而出名，意为 “因为… 出名” The area is famous for its green tea.这个地区 以绿茶而出名。 ? be famous as ? be famous to
2. When people say “culture”, we think of art and history. 当人们提起文化时，我们就 会想到艺术和历史。 think of 有考虑；想起；有…想法；对…有 意见 等意思。在该句中应理解为“ 想起， 想到”。例如： Does the poem make you think of spring? 这首诗有没有让你想到春天？ How many stars can you think of? 你能想到多少明星？
3. When this cartoon came out in New York on November 18, 1928, it was the first cartoon with sound and music. 当这部动画片于1928 年11月18 问世于纽约 时，它成为第一部带有音乐的动画片。 “ come out” 在本句中译为“ 出版” 引申为 “ 问世”。此外还有：出来，（花）开出来之意。 e.g. The book comes out this week. 该书本周上市。 Oh, look! The sun's coming out! 噢，看！太阳出来啦！
4. One of the main reasons is that Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. 一个主要原因是米奇看似一个普通人，但 他总是尝试应对任何危险。 one of …后跟可数名词复数，表示…之一。 其后的谓语动词用单数。 e.g. One of my favorite movies is Mr. Bean. 我最喜欢的电影之一是憨豆先生。 One of my best friends is Ann. 安是我最好的朋友之一。
5. However, he was always ready to try his best. 然而， 他总是做好尽全力的准备。 1) be ready to do sth 准备做某事 get ready to do sth 与之同义，但前者强 调状态，后者强调动作。 e.g. Are you ready to start? 你准备好了吗？ Please get ready to start. 请作好开始的准备。
2) Try one’s best 尽某人最大的努力
其后跟动词不定式形式，即： try one’s best
to do sth.
e.g. Don't give up. Just try your best.
Come on！Just try your best to let your dream come true. 加油！尽最大的努力去实现你的梦想吧。
6. People went to the cinema to see the “little man” win.
人们去电影院是为了看这个“ 小人儿” 赢。
go to the cinema 也可译为“ 看电影”类似
go to movies
go to a movie
go to see a movie.
a movie an action movie Go to a comedy a documentary a thriller
a movie an action movie a comedy a documentary a thriller
7. Today’s cartoons are usually not so simple as little Mickey Mouse.
此句中not so… as 结构表示“ 不像……那
It wasn’t so good as last time.
It is not so easy as you’d think.
单项选择 1.What ___ Maria think of Ann? A.does B.do C.is 2.--Do you enjoy ____ to classical music? --Yes, I do. A.listening B.listen C.listens 3.--What do you ____ the ring? --I like the ring. A.think of B.like C.think 4.What do you think of the pen?(改为同义句) _____ do you _____ the pen? 5.I think this picture is beautiful.(对划线部分提问) What _____ you _____ _____ this picture?