[四级翻译] 大学英语四级考试长难句翻译练习 四级翻译]
2011 年 05 月 28 日 17:04 来源：新东方在线 【发表评论】
81. Both novelists use a storytelling method that emphasizes ironic disjunctions between different perspectives on the same events as well as ironic tensions that inhere in the relationship between surface drama and concealed authorical intention, a method I call an evidentiary narrative technique.
82. When black poets are discussed separately as a group, for instance, the extent to which their work reflects the development of poetry in general should not be forgotten, or a distortion of literacy history may result.
83. These differences include the bolder and more forthright speech of the later generation and its technical inventiveness.
84. But black poets were not battling over old or new rather, one accomplished Black poet was ready to welcome another, whatever his or her style, for what mattered was racial pride.
85. Tolstoy reversed all preconceptions and in every reversal he overthrew the “ system”, the “ machine”, the externally ordained belief, the conventional behaviour in favor of unsystematic, impulsive life, of inward motivation and the solutions of independent thought.
86. It was better covered by television and press than any event here since
President Kennedy’s inauguration (就职) , and , since indifferent is almost as great a problem to the Negro as hostility, this was a plus.
87. But do not the challenge and the excitement of the critical problem as such lie in that ambivalence of attitude which allows us to recognize the intelligence and even the splendor of Meredith’s work, while, at the same time, we experience a lack of sympathy, a failure of any enthusiasm of response?
88. In this respect she resembled one of her favourite contemporaries, Mary Brunton, who would rather have “ glided through the world unknown” than been suspected of literary airs—to be shunned, as literary women are, by the more pretending of their own sex, and abhorred, as literary women are, by the more pretending of the other!
89. From those sounds which we hear on small or on coarse occasions, we do not easily receive strong impressions, or delightful images; and words to which we are nearly strangers, whenever they occur, draw that attention on themselves which they should transmit to things.
90. To proceed thus is to set up a fivefold hypothesis that enables you to gather from the innumerable items cast up by the sea of experience upon the shores of your observation only the limited number of relevant data—relevant, that is, to one or more of the five factors of your hypothesis.
81、 两种小说家都使用一种讲故事的方法， 来强调同一事件不同角度的讽刺差别和浅显 戏剧与隐藏的权威倾向的讽刺联系，我称之为明显的叙述技巧。
86、 这种冷谈正如对黑人的敌意一样是个大问题， 而电视和报纸对肯尼迪总统就职典礼 的报道胜过对其它事件的报道，是一个意外的收获。
87、但是难道这不是关键问题的挑战和刺激而就其本身而言是存在于矛盾的态度里面。 这样的态度让我们认识到 Meredith’s 作品中智慧和卓越，然而与此同时，我们有了缺乏同 情和不能有任何热情反应的经历。
88、在这方面，她很像所喜欢的同时代人中的一位 Mary Brunton 一样被回避着，和许 多女性作家更多的来掩饰其性别憎恶，和其它方面，Mary 是宁愿在无名的世界中悄然而去， 也不愿被怀疑是在卖弄文艺。
89、 我们在小场合或是粗鲁的场合听到的声音， 不容易有强烈的印象或是令人愉悦的形 象。对于那些生词，无论什么时候出现，我们要把注意力放到传达意义上。
90、 为了继续进行， 要创立一种 5 重假设， 使你能够从经验的海洋中搜集到无尽的细节， 然后抛到观察的海岸上，只有有限的相关数据，也就是说，在假设中的五个因素里面有一个 或多个。
[四级翻译] 大学英语四级考试长难句翻译练习 四级翻译]
2011 年 05 月 28 日 17:03 来源：新东方在线 【发表评论】
91. As an author, I am naturally concerned that a surprisingly large percentage of the population of the United States is functionally illiterate; if they can’ t read or cannot understand what they read, they won’t buy books, or this magazine.
92. They do not know those parts of the doctrine which explain and justify the remainder ; the considerations which show that a fact which seemingly conflicts with another is reconcilable with it, or that, of two apparently strong reasons, one and not the other ought to be preferred.
93. Quite apart from the logistic problems, there existed a well-established tradition in Britain which refused to repatriate against their will people who found themselves in British hands and the nature of whose reception by their own government was, to say the least, dubious.
94. An obsession with the exact privileges of a colonial legislature and the precise extent of Britain’s imperial power, the specifics of a state constitution and the absolute necessity of a federal one, all expressed this urge for a careful articulation as proof that the right relationship with external powers did indeed
95. One encyclopaedia tells us that intelligence is related to the ability to learn, to the speed with which things are learned, to how well and how long ideas are remembered, to the ability to understand those ideas and use them in problem-solving, and to creativity.
96. The event marked the end of an extended effort by William Barton Rogers, M.I.T. ‘s founder and first president, to create a new kind of educational institution relevant to the times and to the contrary’s need, where young men and women would be educated in the application as well as the acquisition of knowledge.
97. Each departmental program consists, in part, of a grouping of subjects in the department’s areas of professional interest and, in part, of additional opportunities for students of their choice.
98. Alternatively, a student may use elective time to prepare for advanced study in some professional field, such as medicine or law, for graduate study in some area in which M. I. T. gives no undergraduate degree, such as meteorology or psychology, or for advanced study in an interdisciplinary field, such as astrophysics, communication science, or energy.
99. While the undergraduate curriculum for an open Bachelor of Science degree, as listed by a department, may have its own unique features, each program must be laid out in consultation with a departmental representative to assure that it is meaningful in structure and challenging in content.
100. Where previously it had concentrated on the big infrastructure projects such as dams, roads and bridges, it began to switch to projects which directly improved the basic services of a country.
92、 他们不知道那解释和点明其余部分合理的学说， 那些表明似乎与其它相冲突的因素 是可以协调一致的，或者应该提出两个明显有力的原因中的一个而不是另一个。
93、 除了逻辑推理问题之外， 在英国存在一种悠久的拒绝遣送违反他们意志的人们的传 统，这些人们发现他们处于英国政府的掌握，而这种政府接受的本质却不确定的。
94、 对于殖民立法的困扰和英国皇权的范围， 州宪法的细节问题和绝对需要一个联邦法 律。所有这些都表达出迫切的需要谨慎的，具有外在力量的正确关系的证明确实盛行。
95、词源里告诉我们说智力是和学习能力有关，和所要学习的内容速度有关，和内容记 得的好坏和时间的长短有关，而且和有能力那些内容，使用它们来解决问题的能力，以及创 造力相关。
96、这事件标志着由 William Barfon Rogers 的长期的努力的结束。William 是 MIT 的 一创立者兼第一任主席，他努力要开创一种新型和时代、国家需要相关的教育机构，在那里 青年人可以获得知识性和实用性的教育。
97、 每个系的计划包括的一部分是系领域内的专业兴趣的科目， 另一部分是学生们自己
98、可选性地，学生可以用选择性的时间来准备某些专业领域的高级课程，比如说医学 或者法律，或者 M.I.T.不授予本科学位的某些专业课程，比如说气象学和心理学，或者跨 学科的领域，比如说天体物理学，交流学或者能源学。
四级备考： [四级词汇] 2011 四级备考：高频短语与搭配 四级词汇]
2011 年 05 月 26 日 15:30 来源：新东方在线 【发表评论】
521. in the position of 处在…位置上
522. in practice 实际上(状语);业务熟练(表语)
523. be(get) out of practice 荒疏,不熟练
524. bring(put)…into practice 使…成为现实
525. prefer…to… (choose rather, like better) 宁要, 更喜欢
526. prepare for breakfast 准备吃早饭
prepare breakfast 作早饭
527. in the presence of 在…在场的情况下
528. for the present(=for the time being, for now)暂且,就现在来说; at present 现在,此刻
529. preside over / at 主持(会议,业务等)
530. prevail over 占优势, 压倒, 战胜
531. prevent…from 使…不, 防止…做
532. previous to (=prior to) 在…之前
533. take pride in(=pride oneself on) 以…自豪
534. pride oneself on / upon 以…自豪
535. in principle (=only in regard to the main idea) 原则上
536. prior to (=before) 在…之前
537. in private (=privately) 私下, 秘密地
in public 公开地
538. proceed from (=arise from, result from) 由…发出, 由…引起(产生)
539. proceed with ( =begin and continue sth.) 继续进行
540. in progress(=in the state of be done)进行中